Saturday, April 08, 2006

Helo once again......

We all have an innate need, no matter who you are, where you're from or what you believe, to have a sense of purpose, a need to have our individual lives 'mean something'. People can argue that there is no meaning to life, and that the world came from nothing and will return to that same state, but you will never find someone saying that their biggest dream is to have accomplished nothing with their time on this earth. We also have need of something or someone that will keep us safe and secure. Some people pursue money in order to satisfy this desire, while other people surround themselves with other people to have this need met.

The point is that these are the things that connect us all together, yet at the same time it is these same things that cause contention between us. For instance, I work in an independent financial Advisory firm, and I have seen people so obsessed with obtaining more and more money, that they would snap their own grandmother's back to get it. It stems from a desperate need to not only be secure, but also to feel like they have achieved something, because now they can say to themselves 'I have all this money, that makes me a success'!! Money is just one example, but you can substitute for a number of different things; sex, fame, power, possessions...all of these have the same effect.

I think that is a very sad thing. 9 out of 10 times, when you get what what you want, after all that effort, you find that it just doesnt satisfy, and so you keep going for more, thinking that at some point you will get that elusive feeling of 'satisfaction'. What a waste of time. We put all of our faith, energy and hope into these things that don't do anything for us, and more importantly don't last. Look at famous artists and writers like Pollack, Da Vinci, Dickens and Shakespeare, their desire was to write works and create art that wud stand the test of time, and congratulations to them, because they have. But of what use is that to them now? They're dead.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to feel secure, or having a desire to have our lives mean something, because it is a natural desire, the problem lies in the way we try to outwork them and the things we choose to focus on. In the bible, it says 'why spend money on what is not bread, and labour on what does not satisfy' (Isaiah 55 verse 2..if you're interested), and in that one statement, the man makes a very profound point. We buy all these different gadgets, and we work and work and waste SO much of our time on things that, at the end of the day, are meaningless and have no REAL value. So, why waste time with it.

As I have said, im a Christian, and I know that it is only in Jesus Christ that I can find true fulfilment and nourishment, because everything that is outside of that is worthless and finite, while He is everlasting and MORE than sufficient for every possible need.

I guess what I am trying to say, is that we should all have a long hard look at ourselves, and ask whether or not the desires we have and the methods we use to see them fufilled are worth it. Life is too short to waste on things are not going to bring true fulfilment.

Well, I guess this is where I make my exit.

Until next time, God bless : ) xx

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. G.F. said...

Nice post.

Very well done.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Pete Sz said...

Yeah I really like it. You make a very profound point that I think absolutely everybody in this world needs to hear. Personally I feel a bit challenged by it because I know that I sometimes spend my strength on 'what does not satisfy'. It's a waste of time!

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home